A state-wide bill called the Liberty Act (bill #S4075) passed in the Assembly in February and is now being held up by key Democrats, including Senators John Brooks, Todd Kaminsky and Simcha Felder.
The Liberty Act, if passed would protect immigrant families and children that are vulnerable under Trump’s agenda. It would make all of New York a true sanctuary state. You can read more about it on at https://m.facebook.com/NewYorkLibertyAct/
UIDN members and supporters can help in a number of ways:
- Sign the online petition cc/NYLibertyAct4075. UIDN is now an organizational cosponsor.
- Phone-bank in Todd Kaminsky’s District 9. You can do this from home. If you can phone bank please email email@example.com and we’ll connect you with the organizer who can provide phone numbers and a sample script.
- Call our state senators Bonacic and Amedore and urge them to vote yes on Bill # S4075. Bonacic is so far noncommittal.
- Coalition on Facebook: add yourself or other members interested in helping out with efforts.
- Join the Lobby Day on June 6th, Tuesday, from 9:00am to 5:00pm in Albany. This is a very important day for as many people to come and gather, and walk into Senator’s offices and ask them to vote YES on the Liberty Act. There will be media coverage, possibly a press conference, and rally.